Saturday, January 4, 2014

The New Year, 2014






Some photos Agnes Fohn took at our Rockwood gig on 12/16/13



Blog #110: The New Year

Hey Everybody,

I'm just sitting in my apartment, just finished practicing.  It's nice and cold outside and we're buried in snow here in Brooklyn.  Apparently my attempts to keep active on this blog have failed since the last time I wrote one was back in August.  So I assume an update is in order first: we recorded again back in September, another short 4 hour session that we got some great material from.  From our two session so far I've already figured out which songs are going to be on the EP, which will be about 30 min of music and will be released first.  We just need to do a little cleaning up on those tracks and then it's on to editing, mixing and mastering..I also need to get some photos taken and work on getting the album cover art and design going.  It's been a little bit delayed because the studio I use has been so busy, but it'll be worth the wait.  The tracks sound fantastic and I can't wait to share the music with everyone.  The stuff I've been playing since I started this blog is so dramatically different, I was listening to my first album today and I can't even recognize that person in comparison to what I'm doing musically these days.  Also trying to book one more short recording day to finish the full album, that'll probably be released near the end of 2014.  Should be a very exciting year for me hopefully.  I'd also like to get my music out there a bit more this year, play more shows etc.  It takes a super long time to develop one's own musical identity/voice, and even to develop the skill to play an instrument well and I'm really feeling like I'm finally getting into that zone.

Other than that, my group played a show a few weeks ago at Rockwood Music Hall, here in NYC.  First of all, we/I have decided to finally just call the group CROWLEY, after many various band names blah blah blah.  I write all the music and though I'd really prefer to keep the same band line-up, it's super tricky here in NYC where juggling everyone's schedules can be difficult, so I've decided to just call it CROWLEY.  Luckily I've been able to keep a steady line-up and everyone I've been playing with and recording with has been sounding awesome and really coming together.  The Rockwood show was super fun.  My friend Michael Eaton set the whole thing up, which was great.  We played a 45 min set and just hit as hard as we could, I sold a bunch of CDs and made some cash from the pass-the-hat…more importantly I always view playing live as a chance to win people over to what we do and the music we make, which is hard to describe.  Even though no one knows who I am, and I get ZERO press, people are always asking us when we're playing again and asking to sign up for the mailing list, buying CDs, so it feels good to play live, I'd like to do more of it in 2014, I've just never been great at setting shows up and doing the whole networking/smoozy/politic-y bullshit.  Chalk it up to my aversion to phony-ness, or maybe my introversion/shyness.  But anyway, hopefully we can play at Rockwood again, we've had a hard time finding a 'home base' since Sycamore stopped having music last spring.  Here's a song from the show: 

So besides playing more shows, I've got some ideas for some different future projects and musical concepts I'm working on, but i'll wait to share those until the EP and CD are finished first, it is easy and a mistake to move onto the next thing before finishing what you're working on first…plus I like surprises.

No comments:

Post a Comment