Friday, March 8, 2013

It's been a while


Photos from Agnes Fohn at the Apt Show

It's been a while

Blog # 106

Okay, let me just start by saying sorry.  If you've a frequent reader of my blog, you know I'm usually pretty good at writing a couple posts a month.  I've done at least one a month for the past 4 years.  But I haven't written one since November.. yikes.  Any reason?  No, not really.  I've been practicing just as much, doing a LOT of rehearsals, and meeting and playing with so many new musicians around NYC that I look through my phone at the names and think 'Who are these people?'

I guess I'll share a few things that have happened.  For one, I played a really great show a few weeks ago at a club called Muchmore's in Williamburg Brooklyn.  The show was awesome, and I had a great time.  It was a bill with 3 bands: my band 'Heart of Darkness' played first, then one of my favorite brooklyn bands and friends 'Relatives' played second, and 'Noble Laureate' played last.  Relatives are a avant-garde, folk, rock.. I don't know its hard to describe their music but its awesome.  Katie from 'Relatives' was in a band with me a few years back called 'Red Light Growler' and she set up the show.  Closing the show was 'Noble Laureate', a grunge rock duo lead by my friend Ross, who was also in 'Red Light Growler' back then.  I'm always impressed by the Lyrics he writes, def stuff that makes you think.  Over all it was great to play on a bill with bands that are doing different thing stylistically, I'd like to do more of that in the future and steer away from doing more jazz events at jazz clubs.  I like a lot of different music and the idea of just mixing it all up and presenting it together.  As I've said before most jazz clubs tell me my music isn't 'jazz enough', while anyone who isn't a jazz person sees a trumpet and sax and just labels us 'jazz'.  I can't win.  But this night at Muchmore's was perfect and definitely the direction I'd like to keep going in.  Turn out was great and everyone had a good time.

Here's Relatives: http://relatives.bandcamp.com/
Here's Noble Laureate: http://soundcloud.com/red-light-growler/sets/ross-edwards/
Here's a few songs we played that night:  http://soundcloud.com/joncrowleymusic/a-little-poison-live-muchmores and http://soundcloud.com/joncrowleymusic/lonely-lonely-feist

Back in December, we did a house show too....at my apartment, which was a lot of fun.  We had over friends (about 15 people) and played hard! ...until about 9:30 when the downstairs neighbors came up and we're like 'seriously?', hahaha! .... well, we got to play for about 30 min anyway and then Katie and Ian played a duo set after us, which was quieter so that worked out well.  The whole thing was a fun idea, I might try to do something like that again but maybe make it a little earlier in the afternoon...maybe have a few bands play.  It was cool to play for friends though and turn my one room apt into a performance space for a few hours.

Other than that we're gearing up for the next show at Sycamore, my absolute favorite place to play and its only about 15 min from my apt in Brooklyn.  Relatives are going to open for us too, so it should be a great night of music, Thurs March 28th!

Lastly, I've been thinking about recording again.  I do not love the process of recording, being in the studio, having to listen to tracks over and over again, cleaning things up, thinking about cover art, design.  The whole thing isn't enjoyable, but I do love having a finished record, and the other great part about recording is when its finished you can stop playing those songs and move to the next thing.  Everything I play now has been written in the past 2 years and hasn't been recorded yet, so I'd like to document all that music, which is drastically different than both of my previous albums.  I actually have so much material I could probably do 2 albums, so I've been entertaining the idea of doing an album and an E.P.  Staggering their release.  I've also thought about recording more spread out, IE one day one month, one the next, one the next, instead of most jazz recordings, which are finished in 2 consecutive days.  Just as a way to make it different and put more thought into it instead of making it some sort of crazy sprint.  But obviously another issue is money.  Its VERY expensive to record so I'm going to have to come up with some cash.  I would do a kickstarter, but I don't think I'm well known enough for that to raise any money or for that to work.  So I'm going to have to think of another way....

No comments:

Post a Comment