Wednesday, November 2, 2011

Pace




Blog # 91: Pace


A few days ago I was running at the gym. I really enjoying running on a treadmill because I can control the speed, see how far I've run, make sure I'm not slacking and keep a good pace. Somedays I seem to have an easy time and somedays just ten minutes into the run I know it'll be a tough one. This alone is interesting considering I run regularly, so its not like there is a lot of downtime and slacking between runs(I go Mondays, Wednesdays and Fridays). Maybe it has something to do with what I eat before the run, or how much I sleep the night before, or maybe its just my emotional state. Regardless, I run at least 4 miles and don't let myself take the easy way out. Monday I was running, slowly increasing my speed and got to the point where I felt at a certain pace I could have run all day. The timing between my footsteps and my breathing was perfectly in sync. At this pace, I would never get tired.(Monday it was at 6.5 miles/hr)


This feeling surprisingly reminded me of playing on tour this summer with Red Light Growler. After playing 4 shows in a row, on the same material with the same band, I felt I had found my pace. I knew how much space I could leave, when I could increase my volume and intensity and building a solo with the band became a lot easier, almost effortless.


Strangely enough, these thoughts on 'Pace' reminded me of something UFC welter-weight champ Georges St-Pierre said in an interview once. The reporter asked him how much cardio work he did, because he never got tired in any of his fights. St-Pierre's response was that he didn't really do that much cardio work, but he just forced all of his opponents to fight his pace. Whether it was faster or slower than his rivals, it brought them out of their zone, made them uncomfortable and threw them off their game. St-Pierre said, once he finds his pace in a fight he's unstoppable.


Running, Fighting, Improvising music: I love finding the similarities between seemingly different things and I think there is a lot in common. This Idea of 'finding your pace' is an important feeling and idea I'll be thinking more about. Ideally, I'd like to be able to find my pace whenever, where ever and whatever the musical circumstances.

No comments:

Post a Comment