Monday, November 7, 2011

First Days in NYC



Blog # 92: My first Days in NYC


For some reason I thought about my first days in New York today. I moved to the City in the fall of 2005 to attend NYU. I spent my first academic year living in a dorm on 26th street, where I shared a kitchen and bathroom with a Korean Dental student(sadly, I can't even remember his name now!)


After I moved my stuff into to the building, said goodbye to my parents and settled in, the next day I had to go down and take my placement exams. These are tests all grad students take to make sure their knowledge of Music Theory, Music History and Aural Comprehension is up to par. So, the day after I moved in I had to get down to NYU(4th Street) and take these tests, one in the morning and one in the afternoon. Between the big buildings, the fast pace and the new environment, I decided it'd be best not to trust the subways(I didn't know how often they ran) and decided just walk down to 4th street. So, I walked down, took the first test, walked back to 26th street, ate lunch and then walked back down to 4th street again, took the second test and then walked back to my Apt one final time. These trips back and forth added up to about 7 miles total....all because I didn't trust the NY subway system yet and wanted to make sure I didn't miss these tests :)


Its funny to think about to my first days in New York City...


6 comments:

  1. All you can say about your first day in New York is this?!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Haha! Nah, I could say a lot more about all the different feelings of living in a big city for the first time in my life, moving farther away from home that I'd ever lived, the nervousness of not knowing anyone and coming to this city to study with Laurie Frink and become a jazz trumpet player...

    But that's a whole other blog entry, and that would be a looong story. Maybe I'll share that soon, I just wanted to share this quick funny story this time

    -JC

    ReplyDelete
  3. my name is anna my first day in new york city was difficult to me i just came from greece i lost my mother she died by heart attack and now i am at new york city i like new york city the people the streets everything i dont want to go back to greece

    ReplyDelete
  4. Anna, that must have been incredibly difficult. I can't imagine moving to a foreign country during such a hard time, especially to one of the biggest cities in the world. You've got courage, and they can't teach that!

    ReplyDelete
  5. how exactly are the people out there in the new york city??

    ReplyDelete
  6. I was talking to a friend last night about people in NYC vs elsewhere. He was saying 'People are People wherever you go' and I was arguing that people in NYC are much more self-centered. I think because there are so many people here pursing their dreams/goals/passions that they sometimes stop thinking of other people. NYC is such a pressure cooker. IE that's why New Yorkers can be so rude, because they aren't empathizing with others, its all about them and what YOU can do for them. Maybe I'm wrong, but that's my opinion of the people in NYC at the moment, after just getting back from Suburban PA where I was treated really kindly by strangers.

    ReplyDelete