Tuesday, September 20, 2011

Playing Gigs



Blog # 88: Gigs


Okay, I'd like to say something that may surprise you. I never really enjoyed playing gigs until recently. I know this may sound weird, considering I've been doing shows with various bands for about 10 years now, so let me clarify that statement: I've always enjoyed playing music, but I've always felt kind of indifferent about performing for people. It wasn't that I disliked performing. I liked it okay, but gigs were more something I felt like I should be doing, because the goal was always just 'to get better'. My goal was to become a great trumpet player and musician. Gigs were a way to play with different people that I wanted to play with. Don't let this confuse the issue though, I love music. I love practicing. I love rehearsing and hanging with the band. I really love playing music with the band(whether its on the stage or not). I live to compose. I love exploring emotional territory through improvisation. Gigs were gigs; just a measuring stick to see where I was at musically, and to see what I needed to work on more in the practice room. If there were people there who enjoyed the music; cool. If they didn't like it; who cares. If it was a light audience: whatever...I was usually more disappointed that this meant less pay.



But this has really changed over the last year. I actually really enjoying playing gigs now. I really like getting up there and trying to tap into something emotional and really actually like playing for people for the first time(maybe ever). I've had more and more interactions with audience members after we play and its been really awesome to talk to them about our music, music in general or just life. I also think having more technical ability on the instrument has freed me up too, so now I can express myself better, which makes performing more fun. I'm also performing music that I like more and playing with people that I'm closer too and this all makes gigs a lot more fun. The gig is now; the rehearsal, the performance and the after-gig hang.(I used to leave quickly after playing before). I had a great time doing a couple tours this year, and I've decided I'd like to do a lot more touring. Excited about the future and where music will take me next.

No comments:

Post a Comment