Tuesday, August 30, 2011

RLG Tour pt 2


The band shares a laugh as we set up @ The Garage, Charlottesville


Blog # 86: RLG TOUR PT 2


Friday morning we woke up and found out that our gig in DC at Gin and Tonic had been cancelled. Apparently they had to do some 'emergency renovations'. This meant we had saturday off. We had a quick breakfast and drove to Charlottesville, VA; hometown of our singer Katie Vogel. This drive took a while cause we hit some serious traffic around Baltimore and DC. I did all the driving for the tour, with Deric sitting shotgun and Katie, Noah and Ross sitting nice and close in the back seat. It was amazing that we fit 5 people, plus gear in my Jeep Liberty. I still think there was some magic involved in squeezing all that stuff in. We ended up arriving at 'The Garage'(Charlottesville VA) just 30 min before we were set to play. A quick set up, 15 min trumpet warmup and a CVS 'Redbull' energy drink run and I was ready to play the gig.


This was the one I was most worried about for the tour. 'The garage' is that; a one car garage turned into a performance stage, with a hill across the street where people passing by can sit and check out some music. I thought that it would be a glorified street performance, but that wasn't the case. A lot of people turned up and seemed to really like our music. I even sold 7 CD's there. One funny moment happened when someone wanted to buy a CD between songs during the performance. I sold one this way, and when more people approached I had to tell them to wait til we finished playing. I felt the music was received well and that 'The Garage' was an awesome venue. We even did pretty well with the 'tip jar' that was passed around. I hope to play there again next time I come through Charlottesville. Afterwards the band and Katie's sister Brittany hung out and had some beer and pizza. Then we headed back to Katie's mom's apt to crash.


Saturday we had the day off since our DC gig had been cancelled. We got a big breakfast from Katie's favorite Charlottesville spot(ate some serious biscuits and gravy). Then we went to the vinyard where Brittany works and had a wine tasting. I wish I could have had more, but I was still doing all the driving. Next we headed further out of charlottesville to 'the swimming-hole', to hang out and swim. It was nice to do a little hiking on a trail before arriving at the actual swimming-hole, which was a pool of water surrounded by rocks. I really like being out in nature and feel like it clears my mind and relaxes me. Everyone was having a good time swinging on a rope swing into the water while I snuck off into the woods to practice a little bit. As I snuck away I took a bad step barefoot and broke my third toe, it later turned completely black and hurt pretty bad. When we finished at the Swimming hole, we hiked back to the car and drove back to Charlottesville to get dinner and a beer, by this point I was starting to really have trouble walking: my toe was throbbing. After dinner we went back to Katie's mom's apt, had some more drinks and hung out. Brittany was nice enough to put ice on my mangled foot and take care of me.


Sunday we got up, got a quick breakfast to-go and drove to Baltimore. We arrived at 'Birkfest'; a house-show of many musicians each playing hour sets of music. Heard some great avant-garde stuff, snuck away to get some food and then played 10 minutes in my car before it was time for our band to play. I was finding the toughest thing about touring was practicing. Trumpet definitely requires some daily maintenance, and I was hard to sneak off and get a few hours in when everyone in the band wanted to hang and do stuff.

'Birkfest' was in Ross' friend's house and it was H-O-T. Probably the hottest place I've ever played. I was SO close to just taking my shirt off and playing shirtless for our set because it was so hot. I liked the space though and thought the whole things was a cool idea. After we played, we had to jet, because I promised Katie I'd get her back to NYC at a decent hour because she had work Monday morning. Thanks impart to my 'motivated' driving, we got back to NYC not too late. I couldn't find parking near my new neighborhood so I parked far away and took a subway to my apt, arriving home around 2:00am. Sleeping wasn't a problem that night.


I had a really great time on tour. I am really good friends with everyone in the band, but in spending 24 hours a day with them I got to know them even more and in different ways. For example I found out Ross is even goofier than I thought and loves to sing constantly. Noah really loves traveling and checking out everything in each town we visit. It was a lot of fun grossing out Katie in the car with our inappropriate talks and Deric makes sure we're organized and together, plus he's also super funny. Anyway, it was a blast, and I hope to take 'Red Light Growler' on the road again soon. Thanks to everyone that came out and saw us play.


No comments:

Post a Comment