Tuesday, August 23, 2011

RLG Tour pt 1

From our Gig @ Milkboy, Ardmore PA
Sleeping arrangements in Malvern, PA



Blog # 85: Red Light Growler Tour pt 1


Got back late last night from our first tour with Red Light Growler. It was a lot of fun playin', hangin' and meetin' new people. I'll give a quick recap:


First off, before we even left, the band finished a rehearsal tuesday night and I headed home. Being slightly paranoid by nature, I made sure I walked by my car before I went in my apartment. Unfortunately my car wasn't there and I came to the quick realization that it had been towed because I'd parked in a 'no standing' area. (I had naively thought "no standing" meant "no loitering" because I'd never seen a sign like that, I had just moved to this new neighborhood). I headed to the brooklyn navel yard to get it back. I was there for 3 hours and almost didn't get my car back because the insurance card in my glove compartment was out of state(PA) and expired. I spent a few hours on the phone with my the insurance co. and my parents and was eventually able to get them to fax an updated insurance card to the Brooklyn Police. Getting my car back just hours before we headed out for the tour. (and spending $340 in the process). I Didn't sleep so great that night because I was pretty wound up from the ordeal.


Wednesday I woke up, practiced and then met up with Katie(voice) and Ross(keyboard) and drove down to my parents house in the suburbs of philly. We met Deric(drums) and Noah(bass) there, ditched some of our stuff and headed to Milkboy Coffeehouse in Ardmore PA. Upon arriving I was pretty nervous. The place looked totally empty and I was thinking we were going to have an lame first gig playing to an empty room. But 5 minutes before the first band started playing a ton of super young looking college kids(or at least they said they were in college) showed up. We later found out they were there to see the band that opened for us. I wasn't really into the band that opened for us, but there were young and hopefully if they keep at it and get better. They were a jam band and played 30 minute songs: not really my thing. Even though we were on the schedule as playing at 8 pm, they put us on at 10:00(pretty late to start on a Wednesday night). This is standard Bullshit you put up with when going on tour. I thought my band, Red Light Growler, played pretty well and musically I was happy with the gig. I also talked to some people after the gig that seemed to like the music and I sold a few CD's. We headed back to my parents house, had a few beers and talked until 3am.


Thurs the band chilled at my parents house. I practiced up in my room. We swam in the pool and got cheese-steakes for everyone(they wanted some real philly cuisine). Afterwards we headed to Philly to play at Chris' Jazz Cafe. I play at Chris' every 3-4 months, so I was looking forward to doing this gig, however upon arriving found out that Chris' Air conditioner had broken several months before and they just had a series of portable AC units and fans. I think this hurt our turn-out a bit. Usual there is some sort of build in audience at Chris', which is great to win over new fans, but our audience was a bit small this time(probably only 20 or so people). I was really happy to see my boss/friend there as well as grandparents who came out too. This gig felt a little random, because we played a few jazz standards with Katie singing lyrics along side Red Light Growler tunes(which are more rock songs). We didn't have enough 'Red Light Growler' music for a 3 hour gig so we threw in a few other songs. Genre switching felt a little weird, but I think it worked.


NEXT PT 2....

No comments:

Post a Comment