Sunday, June 12, 2011

Update and 'Lonely Crow Records'


First Draft for the actual CD





Blog 80: Update and 'Lonely Crow Records'


Sorry its been a while, but here's the update. Finally scheduled two days to do all the mixing and mastering with systems 2 studios. I'll be heading in June 24th and 28th. I've got 8 hours scheduled both days, so I'm hoping to bang it all out. I've also been emailing back and forth with my graphic designer Julio Jimenez. He worked on my first album. I love working with this guy, he always does a bunch of variations for me to choose from and I pick and choose what I like. I tend to do the same thing when I write songs, write a few versions and then pick one. We're refining the concept, but everything is looking good. If all goes as planned I'll send the art and the final recording off to Discmakers to be printed up July 1st.(and 4-5 weeks later I'll have the record in hand).


Lastly, I've decided to start my own record label: 'Lonely Crow Records'. I plan on releasing all my future projects on my own label and the upcoming album 'At the Edge' will be the first release. I'm hoping to have it out by Sept 1st at the latest. Looking forward to getting more into promoting and distributing the album, making contacts and this new frontier. If it goes well, maybe I'll even try to release other people's projects that I like. The decision to start my own label came after hearing how shitty the distribution deals are currently within the jazz world. I'm not sure if anyone knows this, and I'll probably burn some bridges saying this, but most of the jazz labels offer a deal that is: You pay out of pocket for your recording, and all the musicians, then they give you $800-$1000 bucks for the music, they own your music and they give you back 200 CD's for you to sell at your live shows. Just to give you some perspective the best jazz recording studios charge between $175 and $200 per hour to record. So add up two days of recording, plus paying the band...you're several thousand dollars in the hole, before even mixing or mastering. Most recordings cost between $6000-10,000. At least with self-releasing you have the chance of earning your money back.


I'd also like to explore cheaper ways of recording, because I'd like to record more often, and document some of the different projects and ideas I've been working on. We'll see...


No comments:

Post a Comment