Monday, May 9, 2011

Reconnecting and Living Forever

There is a beautiful video on Youtube of Billie Holiday and Lester Young. The story behind the clip is that they were very close but had some sort of falling out and hadn't talked in years. They were filming a show about jazz and brought them together. Watching Billie's face as she hears Lester solo is ...more than I can explain in words. Check it out.


Blog # 78: Reconnecting and Living Forever


Have you ever run into a friend who you haven't seen in a while, you talk to them and then your mind is flooded with all the memories of your time together, the gut feeling of your friendship and history together and it's like no time has past and you're completely connected again? You remember who they are in a deep way.


I get a similar feeling through music that I find to be really beautiful. When I hear someone I know play or play with a friend who I haven't played with in a long time, I have a sensation of remembering our history together. It kind of a warm nostalgic feeling. A few weeks ago after recording I went to see my friends Ross and Katie play with their bands at Nublu in the Lower East Side. I hadn't seen them in a few weeks and I didn't get to talk to them much before their sets but hearing them play just made me remember our friendship and remember all the details of who they are and what I like about them. In a way, its almost better than catching up in words. The feeling of someone is stronger than the words you use to describe them.


Similarly, I was listening to a recording of my old teacher Charles Fambrough recently. Charles passed away on New Year's day, but listening to the recording just gave me this whole feeling of who he was again. When someone is recorded, its almost like they live forever in a way. When you hear someone talk or play music, its a captured moment in time of their thought process. Hearing Charles playing just made me remember our friendship and the feeling of who he was as a person. It was a beautiful feeling of being re-connected, even though I won't be able to talk to him again.

No comments:

Post a Comment