Tuesday, March 8, 2011

Update



Blog #71: Update


I've been very busy the past few weeks, hence why I haven't updated this blog. Its a little over a month until I record my second album and things are starting to really ramp up. The music is almost finished and will be 6 songs(longer tunes, 8-10 minutes, that are multi-movement suites), plus interludes to connect the pieces. The concept being to have the entire album being one thing that just flows tune to tune, instead of just a collection of songs. I just wrote a duet intro for Bass and Trumpet, that should be fun. I'm even considering writing more 'connecting' material that i'd use on the final record, just to have options depending on the final order of the CD. But this all means that mixing should take a bit longer than last time.


I still have a lot of unanswered questions going into this record, and I'm okay with that. I know Julian Pollack is playing rhodes keyboard and Ziv Ravitz is playing drums, but I am still weighing my options on bass, and using a sax or guitar. The first record I did ('Connections') was a very well rehearsed band. This record is going to be a studio project, with very limited rehearsal, so there is a lot of unknowns with that. Its a gamble, but I truly believe that jazz musicians work best when they are faced with the unknown. We'll find out soon enough if it works!


Lastly, I've been pretty busy with a band I'm in called 'Red Light Growler'. Having a lot of fun with this group, hopefully we'll get some sort of small tour in August or September, and maybe try to do a record in the fall. Also, my good friend Deric Dickens(great drummer) is recording his first album in early April with people like Matt Wilson, Kirk Knuffke and myself. Its going to be a series of duets, looking forward to that. Keep an eye out for it.


Feeling pretty optimistic about the future at the moment...

No comments:

Post a Comment