Tuesday, April 13, 2010

Trumpet Flexibilities - Octave Displacement





Blog #44: Trumpet Flexibilities - Octave displacement


I've been trying to think of different things to put up on this blog, so I thought maybe I'd share some exercises I've written that I do.


I spent a lot of time working on playing lines with octave displacement, sometimes its as simple as taking something I've been playing and moving one note up or down an octave. This can make the phrase sound more interesting and different. I wrote these exercises to get comfortable and accurate with all this jumping around on the horn. I do them a few days a week as part of my 'short warm-up' session, and do them generally four times (once slow slurred, once fast slurred, once slow tongued, once fast tongued) two part A's and two part B's. By playing them this way it kills two birds with one stone; I get to work on articulation too.


Maybe, I'll write out some actual lines over changes out based on octave displacement and put them up later. These drills are based on the harmonic series of trumpet, but I'm sure they could be useful to most instruments.


(Also, a shout-out to Laurie Frink, she had me play similar exercises while I studied with her)


No comments:

Post a Comment