Saturday, April 25, 2009

Gettin' the Gears Movin'

           Nick Anderson- Drums, Yayoi Ikawa- Piano

Blog #9 Gettin' the Gears Movin'

Since my last entry I've finally come up with a track order and have also decided to call the Album 'Connections'(which is also a name of a track on the album).  I will explain the album's meaning in a later blog entry.  Now that I have the track order, I have called Systems two studios and am working on scheduling a time to do the Mastering(making the actual CD).  I'm also going to do one last minute mixing correction on one track.


TRACK LIST:

Connections

Momentum

Tabula Rasa

Vista

Ambrosia

Icarus

Right Now

City Mood

Decision


I have also decided to go use a graphic artist name Julio from Miami, who was both good and affordable.  He is a friend of a friend and designed the covers for 2 of my saxophonist John Beaty's Albums.  I told him I wanted something 'clean looking' and that I didn't want to put a picture of myself on the cover.  I also told him that I wanted to incorporate some sort of crow image(my last name is pronounced Crow-lee, and some friends call me 'Crow' for short).  Julio has sent me a few mock-ups and I've told him what I like and don't like and we're working together towards a cover and design that will fit the album.


The other thing I need to figure out is the Copyrighting and Publishing aspect of the album.  I've had teachers warn me over and over again that I need to open my own publishing company for this, that way I receive all the money from my songs(there's a good chance it won't be much, because it is a jazz album, but better safe than sorry).  Everyone I've talked to has had different advice about how this process works from "Just mail yourself a copy", to "Send the audio CD to the library congress", to "You have to submit all the stuff online now".  Hopefully later this week I'll meet up with my friend John and he'll walk me through this mess.  This business aspect of the recording I find a bit overwhelming, and probably the least fun.


Lastly, I just want to say Thanks to everyone who came on to the gigs in Philly and DC this week.  We had really good turn outs and it was great to see some old friends and meet some new ones.  Strangely enough, I really felt that I grew as a player after those gigs I could write a whole entry about all that I learned musically from them, but maybe I should just keep this blog focused on the recording...

1 comment: