BLOG # 5: Editing Part 1
This week I went back to Systems 2 studio to do some editing with Mike Marciano. We got through 6 of the 9 tunes. Its pretty amazing what a good editor can do. On one track there was a moment when the drums and piano were a little off during a transition of a tune in 11/4, and we were able to move a cymbal hit, to where it sounds perfect. The biggest challenge during editing so far was my tune "Momentum". We did three takes of this song during the two days of recording. We had some really nice solos, and the heads sounded tight, but we didn't have a good ending(which was definitely my fault for not communicating better to the musicians what I wanted). All of the endings we had just sounded the like the tune was stumbling to a stop. My idea was to splice the last two bars of the head leading into the solos over the 'messed up' last two bars of the tune, and then to splice an alternate rhythm section intro to the end and fading from there. This was by far the biggest edit we did, and I would feel slightly guilty about it, if it wasn't for the fact that everyone took such nice solos on the tune; I had to make sure we got the track on the record.
One pleasant surprise was I had written down a couple of moments where I thought I might have been a little out of tune. Mike brought up this tool that shows you how in tune you were and I was surprised that I was right on 99% of the time(There was just one moment that I was adjusting my embouchure during a head that we had to fix). This made me feel good since playing in tune is something I've worked on while practicing these past couple years.
Everyone loves to point the finger at the trumpet player when something seems out-of-tune, so this was a nice little victory for me and my brass brothers! One more day of editing should finish it up...