Monday, February 16, 2009

Editing Prep

                                   Nick Anderson- Drums
Blog #3: Editing Prep


When I left the studio after the two days of recording I was giving two cd’s worth of material to listen to. The next step was to listen to all the takes and pick which ones I wanted on the record. This was relatively easy for the most part and after picking which takes I liked, I then went through the selected tracks and listened for any mistakes we could potentially fix; IE if the bass played a wrong note during the head, or the trumpet came in early, a wrong piano chord. By no means am I fixing every small error or flubbed note. That would really be opposite to the whole idea of ‘jazz’. To me the editing was more about making sure the melodies are correct and sound strong and to make sure there’s no obvious mistakes. To give you an example of the notes I’ve made, here are what I wrote down for one track:

Double check Sax’s melody @ :53
Check tuning of trumpet @1:00 (possible over-dub from 1st A)
Boost trumpet volume during “building section” of tune @ 4:15
Boost trumpet volume on out head @5:23
Fade ending quicker at end of tune

I probably would have felt differently about editing at all a few years ago. When I was at Muhleberg College I was studying with John Swana and asked him if they ever had to do editing or splicing on his records for Criss Cross (which I am a huge fan of). He said there was splicing on every one of his records. After hearing that I started noticing edits more and more as I listened to records I had loved. Some of my favorite albums, like Herbie Hancock’s Empyrean Isles, have splices all over them. But a good edit or splice is almost unnoticeable. We all know that Miles Davis’ “In a Silent Way” record is made totally out of splicing; and it is a great record.

The hardest track to edit will be, without a doubt, the one song we did 8 takes of. I mentioned this song in an earlier blog. Some of these takes lack energy, others have form mistakes. This track might end up being a Frankenstein IF it makes it to the final CD. I have a lot of notes prepared about this song already, so we’ll see what we can do when I go back to the studio to do the actually editing and mixing.

Once I'm finished reviewing this track, I’ll schedule some time and go back to the studio to do the actual Editing and Mixing.

No comments:

Post a Comment